Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reaching for the Skies at Fort Cornwallis, Penang

The Fort Cornwallis light house. Still can't believe I made it to the top!

Part and parcel of being a travel enthusiast means being willing to do things that you would not have imagined doing. Although with the many travel adventures that I have been through over the years, I have to admit that there was one factor that often hindered me from joining many travelling activities, which was my fear of heights. 

With that being said, I still can’t believe I finally managed to overcome my fear of heights (at least for once!) with my success in conquering the Fort Cornwallis light house in Penang, Malaysia. 

Just to share my experience in climbing up the light house (promise me you won’t be alarmed with what I have to say because this experience of mine is a totally subjective one) – I found my experience climbing up the light house quite scary. 

With creaky and wobbly steps leading to the peak of the light house, my heart often skipped a beat whenever I attempted to climb the steps of the light house. Throughout my journey up to the light house peak, I couldn’t help but doubt about the stability of the steps and fear of having one of the steps break while I was climbing up. I guess these ‘stupid’ thoughts cropped up my mind because of my fear of heights. I tried not looking down when I climbed the light house, but somehow when you have climbed a certain amount of steps you would have figured out that you’re pretty much above the ground! 

The outcome of my success in conquering the light house - a happiness that cannot be explained. Overjoy. Pure overjoy. =) Perhaps this success would encourage me to join more of such activities in the future and help me to not shy away from such activities…Yay! 

Sorry folks, I wasn’t able to capture any photos of the scary steps of the light house. I think I was concentrating too hard not to fall down back then to think of snapping photos. 

Besides the light house, if you intend to drop by Fort Cornwallis, you can also visit the old chapel, wild horses and pay a visit to the exhibition centres at the fort. You can also check out the old canons at the fort. The fort is a good area to take photographs especially if you are into photography. 

I highly recommend a visit to the fort if you plan to head yourself to Penang, Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...