Monday, November 14, 2011

Cheap Eats in Adelaide, Australia


Budget Food
One of the most impressive thing that caught my attention during my trip to Adelaide a few years ago, besides its panoramic parks and lush greenery within the city (will write about that later...) was their affordable food as compared to other parts of Australia.

At most places, you could easily get a decent meal for 5-6 Australian dollars(excluding drinks). That's pretty cheap compared to other metropolitan cities like Melbourne.

Although the standard food price in Adelaide is already quite affordable, won't it be even better if you know how to get food at an even lower price compared to the standard food price?

Here are some tips on the places you can go to if you want dirt cheap food:-

Adelaide Central Market

If you're game enough to try the typical local Australian food, I would advise you to head right down to the Adelaide Central Market situated at Gouger Street.

You would be amused to find such a wide variety of the local food sold at the market.

For cheap food buys, look out for the signages that states the food that are on offer. You'll be amazed to find food that feeds two for only about 5 Australian dollars! Pies, cakes and bread that come pre-packaged (as in buying in bulk) are sold at really cheap prices. You could buy and share the food with your travel partner/friend and save cost...if not put it in the refrigerator and eat it for the next meal!

Besides that, you can also find affordable food/Australian delicacies in the market to buy back for your family at the end of your trip.

Mall food court

If you're into buying back dinner/supper, hold on for a second! This I must have to tell you - if you go to the mall food courts at around 5.30pm-6.00pm, you will get to buy some of the food at half price! (normally it's a buy one, free one offer)

Coles

This is very recommended by yours truly! I was having a walk at night and happened to drop by Coles to look at some Tim tams to buy back for my family back home. Guess what I found? A huge packet of cookies (fit for two people) at Coles. They only cost me 2 Australian dollars! I had that for supper and for breakfast! It was not only cheap, but it was really delicious too. It was not inferior to any branded cookie, in fact it was so good that I thought it was even home made!

Chocolates at Haigh's Chocolates

I know this isn't really 'dirt' cheap. But if you're looking to buy gourmet chocolate at a fraction of the price of the real price, then you can go to Haigh's Chocolates (their factory at Greenhill Road, Parkside). You can even sign up for a free tour (and receive some free chocolate samples too!) but remember to give them a call. I had my fair share of chocolate buying at Haigh's and my favourite was the marshmallow chocolate. =)

I guess that's all the tips that I can give today. Hope this was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...